Corporate social responsibility
The long-term business success of the SVG Capital group requires effective management of both financial and non-financial performance. Our business relies in particular on strong relationships with our employees, our investors, and the general partners of the funds in which we invest.
Although we are a major investor in private equity funds, regulations and commercial realities limit the degree to which we can have an active influence on those funds. We aim to develop open, long-term relationships with the private equity managers with whom we invest. Nonetheless we do engage with general partners to identify where non-financial issues may have an impact on our reputation and on that of our investors. We also engage with relevant industry associations and participate in other initiatives to help raise awareness and understanding of these issues, both within and outside the sector.
The Group employs around 60 people based in London, Boston and Singapore. As a financial services firm, the environmental and social impact of our activities is low. However, we are looking at ways to reduce this environmental impact, and to support local communities. We recognise the mutual benefits that can arise from doing so in a consistent way.
Overall responsibility for the implementation of the Group’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Policy rests with the Board, working with relevant corporate functions, including a CSR committee.
The Board’s strategic priorities with respect to the CSR policy are:
Our objective is to recruit, train and retain high calibre employees, and to foster a work environment that helps them to fulfil their potential. To do this we aim to:
- provide a supportive work environment and corporate culture
- provide appropriate training and development
- address, where possible, employees’ interests regarding environment, social and governance issues
Our objective is to ensure that our operations address investors’ policies relating to environmental, social and governance issues. To do this we aim to:
- maintain a high standard of corporate governance
- respond to investors’ environmental, social and governance concerns as they relate to our own operations
- give full consideration to investors’ concerns as they relate to our investment activities
Funds in which we invest:
Our objective is to develop strong relationships, balancing the legitimate needs of the general partners of the funds in which we invest with our interests and the expectations of our investors. We aim to do this by:
- ensuring the highest levels of integrity in our relationships with general partners
- developing strong and open working relationships with general partners, so that we can maintain trust without unnecessary restrictions and unrealistic requests
- undertaking early and constructive engagement on environmental, social and governance issues of legitimate concern to our investors. Prior to investment, we evaluate how the general partners assess such issues as part of their due diligence on underlying companies and how they report on such issues
- being a signatory of the United Nations’ Principles of Responsible Investing
Making a difference where we can
Our objectives are to support our employees’ volunteering and charitable donations through a matched giving scheme and to support communities by providing charitable donations from the Group of up to £350,000 in aggregate per annum. The CSR committee has responsibility for the implementation of the charitable donations policy which is focused on:
- creating opportunity
- providing access to education
- protecting the environment
In 2012, the Group agreed to continue to support the School for Social Entrepreneurs, Fairbridge and the Venture Partnership Foundation. A total of £131,886 was committed to our chosen charities in 2012. Additionally, approximately £30,000 was given via the give as you earn matching programme and other ad hoc donations.
Our objective is to reduce the most significant environmental impact of our operations. We aim to do this by:
- periodically undertaking a carbon footprint analysis
- reducing the impact of our travel and energy use
- disposing of office waste and used equipment in a responsible manner
Engagement with the sector:
Our objective is to engage in debates on the role and impact of private equity. We aim to do this by:
- working with relevant sector associations
- participation in other relevant initiatives
- engaging in discussions with stakeholders